Osseous Surgery: Procedure and After Care instructions.
If you’re seeking dental care in Sorrento Valley, San Diego, CA, you may encounter the term “Osseous Surgery” during your discussions with your dentist. It might sound intimidating, but fear not – Osseous Dental surgery is a frequently performed procedure to address various gum and bone problems. In this blog, we’ll dig into the details of Osseous Surgery, including the procedure itself and essential aftercare instructions.
Understanding Osseous Surgery
Bone Surgery, often referred to as periodontal pocket reduction surgery, is a procedure undertaken by dental professionals or periodontists to address severe periodontal disease. Gum ailments are prevalent dental concerns that, if left unchecked, can lead to complications like tooth loss. In Sorrento Valley, San Diego, CA, dentists like to stay ahead of these issues, and Osseous Surgery is one of their tools.
The Osseous Surgery Procedure
- Diagnosis: The first step in Osseous Surgery is a thorough examination and diagnosis. Your dentist in Sorrento Valley, San Diego, CA, will evaluate your gum disease using X-rays and probing. This helps determine if Osseous Surgery is the right treatment for you.
- Anesthesia: Once you opt for the surgical route, a local anesthetic will be administered to desensitize the targeted region, guaranteeing a painless and relaxed experience during the intervention.
- Accessing the Affected Areas: The dental professional will create minor cuts in the gum lining, allowing visibility and reach to the underlying roots and bone areas impacted by periodontal concerns.
- Removing Infection and Tartar: Using specialized instruments, the dentist will remove any infected tissue and tartar buildup from the tooth roots and the bone. This is a crucial step in halting the progression of gum disease.
- Smoothing the Bone: In some cases, the bone may have irregularities caused by the infection. The dentist will smooth and reshape the bone to eliminate these irregularities, promoting better gum attachment.
- Closure: After the cleaning and reshaping, the gum tissue is sutured back into place. The incisions are small and are designed to heal quickly.
- Recovery: You’ll receive comprehensive post-procedure guidelines, and typical discomfort can often be alleviated with readily available painkillers. Your Sorrento Valley dental professional will arrange subsequent visits to track your recovery.
After Care Instructions
The key to successful Osseous Surgery is following proper aftercare instructions from your dentist.:
- Oral Hygiene: Continue your routine, but be gentle around the surgical site. Use a soft-bristle toothbrush and rinse with a mild, non-alcoholic mouthwash.
- Pain Management: As your dentist recommends, over-the-counter pain relievers can help manage discomfort. Avoid aspirin, as it may increase bleeding.
- Diet: Post-surgery, it’s advisable to opt for mild, soft meals for the initial days to prevent aggravation of the operated area. It’s also wise to steer clear of foods with a crunchy or tough texture to protect the stitches.
- Smoking and Alcohol: Avoid smoking and alcohol during the initial stages of healing, as they can hinder the healing process.
- Follow-Up Appointments: Please attend all your scheduled follow-up appointments with your dentist in 92121. These visits are crucial for monitoring your progress and ensuring your gums heal properly.
- Stress Management: Stress can affect your body’s ability to heal. During your recovery, it’s recommended to try relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or meditation. These techniques can help to alleviate stress and promote a faster and smoother recovery process.
- Avoid Touching the Surgical Area: It’s crucial to refrain from making contact with the operated area using your hands or tongue, ensuring a bacteria-free environment conducive to healing.
- Stay Hydrated: To promote healing, keeping your body hydrated is crucial. Ensure you drink enough water and fluids throughout the day to maintain adequate hydration. Consuming water aids in maintaining hydration, which can expedite the healing process.
Osseous Surgery in San Diego, CA, performed by our dentist, is a valuable procedure for treating advanced gum disease and preventing tooth loss. By following the aftercare instructions diligently, you can help ensure a successful and comfortable recovery. If you have any concerns about Osseous Surgery, don’t hesitate to contact our trusted dentist, Scripps Poway Dental Care in Sorrento Valley. They are there to guide you on your journey to a healthier, happier smile.